Tuesday 12 March 2013

Grodzinski is a GO!


Grodzinski is a GO!

There is no finer feeling then sampling a brew you've made for the first time, well for me anyway. After a 1.5 Weeks of leaving my Grodzinski to carbonate it was ready to drink and I'm very happy with the result.

Glorious Grodzinski!

As I was kegging the beer I took a gravity reading and the ABV worked out to around 4.5% which I was happy with as Home Brewing for me isn't about making the most Alcoholic drink you can, it's about experimenting with different styles and flavors that aren't readily available from the LCBO and Liquor stores . 

Smoked Polish Beer is something I have never encountered before, in fact the only place I could find on untappd to make it was Iron Hill Brewery who won a Bronze Medal for theirs in 2012. 

On pouring the beer I was delighted with the colour, the Carared© Malt giving the beer an amber glow, and a slight cloudiness from the Wheat DME. Cloudy Beers always remind me of the wonderful brews from Quebec who seem to have a fondness for Wheat and gives the region a unique style. 

Tasting the Grodzinski I was taken aback by how smooth it was, it gently glides down the throat which is always a dangerous profile on a Beer. The smoked malt gives the brew that wonderful smell that conjures up memories of the Fire pits from the Summer past and with Spring breaking on to the horizon it seemed quite fitting to be ready as the snows start to melt. It also gives the brew that little subtle something extra that keeps you interested in savoring every mouthful, which is beneficial with how smooth it tastes.

My only criticism is that maybe the smoked malt is a little too subtle and if I were to make this style again I would look to double the grain bill to see what the outcome would be. Perhaps though the smoked malt would be overpowering where as now it has a little air of mystery where the drinker can try to detect that little flavor over many smooth mouthfuls. 


 If you've made it this far then thanks for reading and please add any comments or contact me at @EyeBeerHolder.

PROST!!

No comments:

Post a Comment