Friday 22 February 2013

Highballer Pumpkin Ale

Beer Review: Highballer Pumpkin Ale

So as I mentioned in my last Blog I wanted to review some of the Ontario Craft Brewers Beers as well as some of the more exotic brews I may find in the LCBO or Beer Store.  

I already had some store away in case of emergencies so decided to crack one open. I picked it out at random and it happened to be the Highballer Pumkin Ale by the excellent Grand River Brewing, a brewery very close to my location. 

I've always like the distinctive bottle shape and label design by GRB I feel it gives it a real Micro Brewery feel. They also feature some Food Recipes to use with their Brews. 

So onto the Beer itself. Usually the first thing I like to do when trying a new Beer for the first time is to get a good whiff of the aroma. I noted a strong smell of Pumpkin which is no mean feat as I know from my own experience, brewing with Pumpkin is very difficult. It takes a lot of Pumpkin to get a little flavor. I also detected a slightly spicy smell but there would only be one way to know for sure.

The taste was a lot duller than I was expecting (not to be confused with boring). For me it was because the brew seemed to have a low carbonation, however the enhanced the flavor of the Pumpkin considerably. Letting the Beer sit on the tongue brought through the hidden the spice of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves and Vanilla. 

Of course the colour is a wonderful amber because of the Pumpkin but I did find the brew wasn't as clear as I was expecting, perhaps there is a hint of Wheat in there. 

Verdict: As with a lot of seasonal Beers I don't think I could drink this all night but that's the beauty of seasonal beers. To make use of what is around you and to make Beer out of it, especially Pumpkin, is to be applauded. GRB have made a Pumkin Ale which could rival any other brand throughout North America and I look forward to their next batch.



No comments:

Post a Comment